Vegan Meatballs with Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce
A hearty plate of spaghetti and meatballs is a classic comfort food, but it can be challenging to replicate the taste and texture of meatballs without using animal products. However, this vegan meatball recipe is just as satisfying and flavorful as the original, using plant-based ingredients to create a delicious and nutritious dish.
Growing up, spaghetti and meatballs was always one of my favorite meals. It was a special treat we would have for dinner on weekends, and my mom's meatballs were always a hit. When I decided to adopt a vegan lifestyle, I thought I would have to give up this beloved dish, but after some experimentation, I came up with a recipe that satisfies my cravings and tastes just as good as I remember.
- 1 cup cooked lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz spaghetti (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 jar tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, brown rice, breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, garlic, soy sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to knead the mixture until it forms a sticky dough.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter, and coat each ball in flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs for 15-20 minutes, until firm and crispy on the outside.
- While the meatballs are baking, cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Drain the spaghetti and set aside.
- Heat the tomato sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once the meatballs are done, add them to the tomato sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve the spaghetti topped with the meatballs and sauce.
This vegan meatball recipe is perfect for a cozy night in, or for serving to guests. It pairs well with a green salad and a glass of red wine. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 3 months.
You must log in to post a comment.