Lentil soup is a classic dish that is hearty, nutritious, and perfect for chilly days. This vegan lentil soup recipe is flavorful, filling, and easy to make. It's made with simple, wholesome ingredients that will warm you up from the inside out. Plus, it's packed with protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients that your body needs.
Growing up, my family used to make lentil soup all the time during the winter months. It was a staple dish that we would enjoy after a long day of playing in the snow. I've since modified the recipe to make it vegan, and it's become one of my go-to dishes for when I want something warm and comforting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery, and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin, smoked paprika, and thyme, and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with fresh parsley.
This vegan lentil soup is a great dish to serve for lunch or dinner. It's perfect for meal prep and can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Serve it with a side salad or some crusty bread for a complete meal.