Vegan Lentil and Vegetable Soup Recipe
Lentil and vegetable soup is a hearty and healthy dish that can be prepared in many different ways. This version of vegan lentil and vegetable soup is packed with nourishing ingredients and is perfect for colder days when you need something warming and satisfying.
A Personal Story
Growing up, my mom always made lentil soup during the fall and winter months. It was a staple in our house, and I always looked forward to it. When I became vegan, I started experimenting with different lentil soup recipes, and this vegan lentil and vegetable soup quickly became one of my favorites. It's comforting, flavorful, and filling, and I love that it's packed with veggies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and sweet potato and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, thyme, oregano, vegetable broth, and diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the soup simmer until the lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley, if desired.
This vegan lentil and vegetable soup is perfect for lunch or dinner. It's a great dish to make ahead of time and pack for work or school lunches. You can also freeze any leftovers for later use. Serve with some crusty bread or a side salad for a complete meal.