Vegan Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew
This hearty and warming stew is the perfect comfort food for a cold winter day. It's packed full of plant-based protein from the chickpeas and sweet potatoes, and the combination of spices gives it a deliciously rich and flavorful taste.
A personal story
I first discovered this recipe when I was looking for new ways to incorporate more plant-based meals into my diet. As someone who loves meat and dairy, I was initially skeptical about whether a vegan stew would be satisfying enough for me. But after just one bite, I was completely hooked. The combination of sweet and savory flavors, along with the hearty texture, made this dish an instant favorite. Now, it's a regular part of my meal rotation, and I love sharing it with friends and family.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper to the pot and stir well to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and stir to coat in the spice mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the chickpeas and diced tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the chickpeas are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley.
This vegan chickpea and sweet potato stew is perfect for a cozy night in, or as a hearty lunch to take to work. It's a great option for meal prep, as it keeps well in the fridge or freezer. Serve with crusty bread or a side salad for a complete meal.