Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert that has been around for decades. It is a layered dessert made with ladyfingers soaked in coffee, and a creamy filling made with mascarpone cheese and whipped cream. This dessert is a perfect blend of sweetness, creaminess, and a hint of bitterness from the coffee. It's a great dessert for any occasion and can be made in advance, which makes it perfect for entertaining.
As a child, I used to visit my grandmother in Italy during the summer. She would always make traditional Italian dishes, and one of my favorites was her tiramisu. She would make it in a large glass dish and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Her tiramisu was always a hit, and I loved the way the flavors melded together.
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
- 24 ladyfingers
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until well combined.
- Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Add the mascarpone cheese to the cooled egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream until well combined.
- In a shallow dish, mix the coffee and a splash of rum if desired.
- Dip each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture for a few seconds and place them in a single layer in an 8×8 inch dish.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat with another layer of soaked ladyfingers and the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, dust the top with cocoa powder.
Tiramisu is a great dessert for any occasion, and it's especially perfect for entertaining because it can be made in advance. Serve it chilled with a cup of coffee or espresso. It's perfect for a dinner party or as a sweet treat after a family meal.