Sweet potato hash is a delicious and nutritious breakfast dish that is perfect for those who want a hearty meal to start their day. This recipe is packed with flavor and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. The dish is easy to make and requires minimal preparation time, making it an ideal option for busy mornings.
Growing up, my family didn't eat sweet potato hash very often, but I always loved the dish when we did. As an adult, I started experimenting with different ingredients and flavor combinations, and I've come up with a recipe that I think is perfect. This sweet potato hash is a staple in my breakfast rotation, and I love to make it on weekends when I have more time to cook.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced sweet potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender and slightly browned.
- Add the diced onion, red bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Sprinkle the smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper over the vegetables. Stir well to combine.
- Use a spoon to create 4 small wells in the sweet potato mixture. Crack an egg into each well.
- Cover the skillet and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley over the top of the sweet potato hash, if desired.
This sweet potato hash is a great option for a hearty breakfast or brunch. It's perfect for serving to guests or for a lazy weekend morning at home. You can also customize the recipe to suit your taste preferences by adding in other vegetables or spices. Serve with a side of toast or fresh fruit for a complete meal.