Mint Julep is a refreshing and classic cocktail that is perfect for any warm-weather occasion. It is traditionally made with bourbon, fresh mint, sugar, and water, creating a sweet and herbal taste.
A Personal Story
I first tried a Mint Julep during a trip to Kentucky, where it is considered the signature drink of the Kentucky Derby. The combination of bourbon and mint was surprisingly delicious and refreshing, and I knew I had to recreate it at home.
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- Mint sprig, for garnish
- In a silver or copper julep cup or a Collins glass, muddle the mint leaves with the simple syrup until the leaves release their fragrance.
- Fill the cup with crushed ice, packing it down gently.
- Pour the bourbon over the ice.
- Stir until the cup frosts.
- Top off with more crushed ice and garnish with a mint sprig.
Mint Julep is a perfect cocktail for summer parties, barbecues, or simply sipping on a hot day. It pairs well with Southern-inspired dishes such as fried chicken, biscuits, and cornbread. Enjoy responsibly and savor the taste of this classic drink.