Lemon Bars Recipe
Lemon bars are a classic dessert that never gets old. They are the perfect balance of sweetness and tartness, and they are easy to make. Lemon bars are made up of a shortbread crust and a lemon filling, which is a combination of lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and flour. This recipe is perfect for those who want to indulge in a delicious dessert that is not too heavy.
Growing up, my grandmother used to make lemon bars for every family gathering. She would always make them from scratch, and they were always a hit. I remember the tangy taste of the lemon filling and how it perfectly complemented the buttery shortbread crust. I still make these bars to this day, and they remind me of my childhood every time I take a bite.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the flour, mixing until fully incorporated and a dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, flour, and lemon juice until smooth.
- Pour the filling over the hot crust and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling is set.
- Let the bars cool completely in the pan before removing and cutting into squares.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
These lemon bars are perfect for any occasion, whether it's a family gathering or a dinner party. They can be served as a dessert or as a sweet snack. For an extra special touch, serve them with fresh berries or whipped cream. These bars can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, if they last that long!