A fruit tart is a classic dessert that is perfect for any occasion – from an intimate dinner party to a big family gathering. It's a versatile dish that can be customized based on the fruits in season, and the best part is that it's relatively easy to make. The crust is crispy and buttery, and the filling is creamy and sweet. It's a dessert that everyone will love, and it's sure to impress!
I first discovered fruit tarts when I was studying abroad in France. I was walking through a local farmers' market and saw a beautiful display of colorful fruit tarts. I had never tried one before, but I was immediately drawn to them. I purchased one and took a bite, and it was love at first taste. I knew I had to learn how to make them myself, and since then, I've been experimenting with different fruits and fillings.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted fresh fruits (such as strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, and raspberries)
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, butter, and sugar until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add egg yolk and pulse until combined. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness and place in a 9-inch tart pan. Prick bottom of crust with a fork and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread cream mixture evenly over cooled crust.
- Arrange fruit on top of the cream mixture in a decorative pattern. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serve fruit tart chilled with a dusting of powdered sugar. This dessert is perfect for summer barbecues, dinner parties, or any special occasion. You can customize the fruit based on what's in season or your personal preference. It's a dessert that's sure to impress your guests and leave them wanting more!