Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many. It is a delicious vegetarian option that can be served as a main dish or a side dish. This recipe uses fresh eggplant, homemade tomato sauce, and lots of melted cheese to create a hearty and comforting meal.
Growing up, my family would often make Eggplant Parmesan for Sunday dinner. It was always a special treat and we would all gather around the table to enjoy it together. To this day, it remains one of my favorite dishes to make and share with loved ones.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups of Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 cups of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 4 cups of tomato sauce
- 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the flour, beaten eggs, and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls.
- Dip each eggplant slice first in flour, then in egg, and finally in breadcrumbs. Repeat until all eggplant slices are coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant slices and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- In a separate saucepan, heat the tomato sauce over medium heat.
- Spread a layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce, followed by a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. Repeat until all ingredients are used up.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let the dish cool for a few minutes before serving.
Eggplant Parmesan is best served hot out of the oven with a side salad and some garlic bread. It is a perfect dish for a cozy night in or for entertaining guests. You can also make it ahead of time and reheat it for a quick and easy meal during the week. Enjoy!