Recipe: Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic French dish that is loved by many all over the world. It is a dish of chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese, then breaded and fried. The result is a deliciously crispy and flavorful chicken dish that is perfect for any occasion.
A personal story
I first tried Chicken Cordon Bleu when I was on vacation in Paris with my family. We were at a cozy little restaurant, and I remember feeling a bit intimidated by all the fancy French dishes on the menu. But when I saw Chicken Cordon Bleu, I knew I had to try it. It was love at first bite – the combination of the crispy exterior, the juicy chicken, and the melty cheese and ham was just perfect. Since then, I've tried making it at home a few times, and I've finally come up with a recipe that I'm really happy with.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 thin slices of ham
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place each chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until they are about 1/4-inch thick.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on each chicken breast, then fold the chicken over to enclose the filling.
- Secure the chicken with toothpicks.
- Dredge each chicken breast in flour, then dip in the beaten eggs, and coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the chicken breasts until browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a perfect dish for a fancy dinner party or a special occasion. It pairs well with a side of mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the oven or microwave. Enjoy!