Black Forest Cake Recipe
Black Forest Cake, also known as Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte, is a classic German cake that is popular all over the world. It is made up of multiple layers of chocolate sponge cake, whipped cream, and cherries, all topped with chocolate shavings. It is a rich and indulgent dessert that is perfect for special occasions.
Growing up, my family would always order Black Forest Cake for special occasions like birthdays and holidays. It was always a treat to have a slice of the rich and decadent cake. Now, I love making it for special occasions and sharing it with family and friends.
- 1 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate shavings for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients. Beat the mixture on medium speed until well combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and gradually add boiling water to the batter. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans before removing them.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a layer of cherry pie filling on top of the cake layer. Then, spread a layer of whipped cream on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the whipped cream layer. Repeat the process of spreading cherry pie filling and whipped cream on top of the cake layer.
- Use a vegetable peeler to create chocolate shavings from a block of chocolate. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings on top of the cake.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour before serving.
Black Forest Cake is best served chilled. It is a perfect dessert for special occasions like birthdays, holidays, and family gatherings. Serve it with a hot cup of coffee or tea to balance out the richness of the cake.
You must log in to post a comment.