Beef stroganoff is a classic dish that originated in Russia. It is a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for a cozy night in. The dish consists of tender beef strips, mushrooms, onions, and a creamy sauce seasoned with herbs and spices. It is usually served over a bed of noodles or rice. This recipe is easy to make and is sure to become a family favorite.
Growing up, my family used to make beef stroganoff on special occasions. It was our go-to dish for birthdays and holidays. My mom always made it from scratch, and the smell of the beef cooking in the creamy sauce would fill the house. Now, as an adult, I make it for my family, and it brings back so many fond memories.
- 1 pound beef sirloin, sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef strips and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned.
- Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the same skillet and cook until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes, until they release their juices.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Add the paprika, salt, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the sour cream and return the beef to the skillet. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the beef is heated through.
- Serve over a bed of cooked egg noodles or rice, garnished with chopped parsley.
Beef stroganoff is a hearty meal that is perfect for a cozy night in. It is best served over a bed of egg noodles or rice. You can also serve it with a side of steamed vegetables, such as green beans or broccoli. This dish is great for family dinners, date nights, or any special occasion. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.