Beef and mushroom pie is a classic dish that is perfect for a cozy family dinner or a get-together with friends. This hearty and flavorful pie is a crowd-pleaser that combines tender beef, earthy mushrooms, and a rich gravy, all wrapped up in a flaky crust.
I remember the first time I made a beef and mushroom pie. It was a cold winter day, and I was craving something warm and comforting. I had some beef and mushrooms in the fridge, so I decided to make a pie. It turned out to be one of the best dishes I've ever made. Since then, I've made this recipe many times, and it's always a hit.
- 1 lb beef chuck, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and start to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beef back to the skillet and stir to combine with the gravy.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a 9-inch pie dish.
- Roll out the pie crust and place it over the top of the pie dish. Trim the edges and crimp to seal.
- Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
This beef and mushroom pie is best served hot out of the oven with a side of mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables. It's perfect for a family dinner or a cozy night in with friends. This dish can also be made ahead of time and reheated in the oven for an easy weeknight meal.